[rspec-users] workflow: user => stories/features => spec => code => user

Jarkko Laine jarkko at jlaine.net
Fri Sep 19 04:09:18 EDT 2008

On 19.9.2008, at 10.58, Matt Wynne wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2008, at 02:00, DyingToLearn wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am still trying to learn how to effectively use BDD. I would like
>> know if there is a typical BDD workflow or if it is really just a
>> question of personal preference.
>>
>> So far I see the following steps being fairly common:
>>
>> 1. talk with user to establish a few stories and features
>> 2. write plaintext stories or cucumber features (with the user?)
>> 3. write specs for whatever step needs to be wnitten
>> 4. code until specs pass
>> 5. write story/feature steps
>> 6. repeat steps 3-5 until the story/feature passes
>> 7. show the user to confirm that it works the way the user want (and
>
> This seems to be pretty much the workflow that's evolving for us,
> though I tend to write the step implementations before I start
> coding the views, controller, models. (i.e. 5 before 3)/

Ditto, and also, don't write all the specs at a time. My plan for 3-5
is something like this:

3. Write the first step of the feature in question
4. Write the view spec to satisfy the step code
5. Write the view functionality to make 4 pass
6. Write the controller spec to satisfy the needs of 4
7. Write the code to make 6 pass
8. Write the model spec to satisfy the needs of 6
9. Write the code to make 8 pass
At this point the step should pass, so go back to 3 and repeat with
the next step.

Note that I left out the refactoring part of the TDD cycle here. It
generally happens between every layer after the specs pass.

//jarkko

--
Jarkko Laine
http://jlaine.net