[rspec-users] [ANN] Cucumber Textmate Bundle

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:13:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com> wrote:
> aslak hellesoy wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>> I am in the process of porting my RSpec Story Textmate bundle over to
>>> Cucumber.
>>> So far I have the syntax highlighting, file switching, and running of
>>> the features and single scenarios done.  So not all the functionally is
>>> ported yet and it has some rough edges but I think it is ready to be
>>> used/tested by more than just me. :)
>>>
>>> You can get it here:
>>> http://github.com/bmabey/cucumber-tmbundle/
>>>
>>> Please read the README as it talks about avoiding RSpec Story bundle
>>> collisions and how to run features.
>>>

>> Thanks a ton for making this, Ben. A couple of questions:
>>
>> * What do you think about making it run bin/cucumber instead of rake?
>>
> The advantage of using rake is that it gives a lot more flexibility to
> the developer as far as what step files are being required, etc.  In my
> case for example I have two rake tasks.  One that loads up an
> environment for testing JS parts of my web app.  The other task loads
> the the standard rails story world and webrat.  The problem I see with
> going with the straight bin command is that the bundle would have no way
> of knowing which files to require and which ones not to...  We could
> solve that with additional conventions and/or declaring more comments in
> the features about it's dependencies.  I'm totally fine with changing it
> if you have a good idea on how to solve the dependency problem that I
> have explained.

Rake can be slow to fire up, so I like to have the raw commandline.
What if cucumber could look for a cucumber.yml file that lookes
something like the following?

---
default: rails
rails: --require features/steps/common --require features/steps/rails
watir: --require features/steps/common --require features/steps/watir

And then be able to run features like this:

cucumber --profile watir # Runs all watir features
cucumber # Runs all rails feature

WDYT?

>> * How can we make it play nice with the cucumber-supported languages?
>>
> Hmm.. I think we could easily modify the bundle's syntax.. yeah.. this
> is what I came up with for the plaintext features syntax:
> http://github.com/bmabey/cucumber-tmbundle/commit/f695beb6bb1b6d3a2080b84e2b977f24f35431f2
>
> The file is getting pretty ugly however.  I think a better solution
> would be for the bundle's syntax files to be generated off of your
> languages.yml file.  I can investigate this latter as I think that would
> be a much better solution going forward.  Could we add Feature and the
> narrative translations to the languages.yml file as well?

We could, but I'm a bit reluctant as Cucumber itself doesn't care what
you write before the first scenario. What the hell, let's add it
anyway - it's good for the bundle and it's what we want people to use
;-). I'll add it.

Aslak