[rspec-users] webrat the way to go?

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Wed Sep 17 15:37:03 EDT 2008

On 9 Sep 2008, at 05:42, DyingToLearn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the short version of my question:
> For stories, is webrat the way to go? How many of you use  webrat? How
> many don't?
>
> Here is the long version:
> I have been writing specs for some time now. I have noticed that once
> I learned how to write specs (both the syntax and the techniques) it
> made my development much faster and more reliable. However, while I
> was learning my development was painfully slow. So far it seems to be
> the same with stories.
>
>> From the recent posts I've seen on this mailing list, it looks like I
> should focus my efforts on learning cucumber instead of the built-in
> story runner. It is mostly compatible with what is already in RSpec,
> and it has some good extra features. Do you generally agree with that?

+1

> What I am confused about, is whether or not I should learn webrat. It
> looks great in theory, and I've see it mentioned a few times. But I
> haven't seen a wide-spread move towards it. On top of that, the first
> time I looked at it I got rather confused.

Yeah it's definitely the way to go to give you a nice abstraction
layer between your steps code and the app itself, assuming you're on
rails. Not tried any of the other adapters (selenium etc) yet.

> The reason I ask (instead of just trying it for myself) is that I'm
> the only developer on most of the projects I work on, so I can't
> afford a huge drop in productivity. And if my efforts learning to
> write specs are much of a guideline, it will probably take me 3-4
> weeks to get comfortable with writing stories.

Make sure you read through the other threads on this list about
declarative vs imperative stores etc - there's a lot of learning been
done even in the short amount of time this stuff has been used.

I would expect to waste some time splashing around though, yup.