[rspec-users] [ANN] Cucumber Textmate Bundle

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Wed Sep 17 16:56:53 EDT 2008

aslak hellesoy wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>> I am in the process of porting my RSpec Story Textmate bundle over to
>> Cucumber.
>> So far I have the syntax highlighting, file switching, and running of
>> the features and single scenarios done.  So not all the functionally is
>> ported yet and it has some rough edges but I think it is ready to be
>> used/tested by more than just me. :)
>>
>> You can get it here:
>> http://github.com/bmabey/cucumber-tmbundle/
>>
>> Please read the README as it talks about avoiding RSpec Story bundle
>> collisions and how to run features.
>>

> Thanks a ton for making this, Ben. A couple of questions:
>
> * What do you think about making it run bin/cucumber instead of rake?

The advantage of using rake is that it gives a lot more flexibility to
the developer as far as what step files are being required, etc.  In my
case for example I have two rake tasks.  One that loads up an
environment for testing JS parts of my web app.  The other task loads
the the standard rails story world and webrat.  The problem I see with
going with the straight bin command is that the bundle would have no way
of knowing which files to require and which ones not to...  We could
solve that with additional conventions and/or declaring more comments in
the features about it's dependencies.  I'm totally fine with changing it
if you have a good idea on how to solve the dependency problem that I
have explained.

> * How can we make it play nice with the cucumber-supported languages?

Hmm.. I think we could easily modify the bundle's syntax.. yeah.. this
is what I came up with for the plaintext features syntax:
http://github.com/bmabey/cucumber-tmbundle/commit/f695beb6bb1b6d3a2080b84e2b977f24f35431f2

The file is getting pretty ugly however.  I think a better solution
would be for the bundle's syntax files to be generated off of your
languages.yml file.  I can investigate this latter as I think that would
be a much better solution going forward.  Could we add Feature and the
narrative translations to the languages.yml file as well?

-Ben