[rspec-users] webrat the way to go?

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 16:44:15 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 6:42 AM, DyingToLearn <phylae at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Here is the short version of my question:
> For stories, is webrat the way to go? How many of you use  webrat? How
> many don't?

I use it and love it. When it doesn't do what I need (rarely) it's
trivial to drop down an abstraction level and do request/response
stuff. Webrat doesn't replace the standard Rails integration API - it
just adds a higher level abstraction level on top. So there is no risk

> Here is the long version:
> I have been writing specs for some time now. I have noticed that once
> I learned how to write specs (both the syntax and the techniques) it
> made my development much faster and more reliable. However, while I
> was learning my development was painfully slow. So far it seems to be
> the same with stories.
> >From the recent posts I've seen on this mailing list, it looks like I
> should focus my efforts on learning cucumber instead of the built-in
> story runner. It is mostly compatible with what is already in RSpec,
> and it has some good extra features. Do you generally agree with that?

I would say I agree, but I am obviously biased.

> What I am confused about, is whether or not I should learn webrat. It
> looks great in theory, and I've see it mentioned a few times. But I
> haven't seen a wide-spread move towards it. On top of that, the first
> time I looked at it I got rather confused.
> The reason I ask (instead of just trying it for myself) is that I'm
> the only developer on most of the projects I work on, so I can't
> afford a huge drop in productivity. And if my efforts learning to
> write specs are much of a guideline, it will probably take me 3-4
> weeks to get comfortable with writing stories.

If you already know RSpec I think you'd pick it up faster. Cucumber
has some documentation that might be helpful:

Hopefully the generators should be helpful for newbies.