[rspec-users] Cucumber: pending specs

Chris Flipse cflipse at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:52:49 EDT 2008

I'm finding another case where I'll get unintended breaks, and it's not so
easy to avoid as adding a PENDING to the end of a step matcher.

  Scenario:  none of these are pending
  Given a completed feature                         # green
  When I submit a bad create post               # green
  Then I should see an error message          # green

  Scenario:  There is no matcher for the When
  Given a feature in work                              # green
  When I submit a bad update                      # yellow, unmatched
  Then I should see an error message           # red

Basically, an unmatched step doesn't stop the rest of the steps from
running, and the Then matcher fails.  I end up having to drop some kind of
nasty blocker inside the .feature file in order to avoid that fail, and
remember to take it out when I actually implement the second When step ...

It's a tough thing though, because I can think of other cases where I'm glad
that a single unmatched step doesn't halt the whole chain.  Thinking about
it though, I'd say it comes down to which type of step it is. If a When is
unimplemented, the whole chain should stop.  If a Then is unimplemented,
just skip it ...

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:

> We found that we can raise a Cucumber::Pending error in the step matcher to
> achieve the same effect, though in practice we're tending to just write
> PENDING in the feature and break the link to the step matcher.
> Actually something that would really help us is the ability to comment out
> scenarios, as you quite often have code you want to check in but you don't
> want to break the build due to a half-finished feature. I'm finding I spend
> a lot longer between check-ins since I started using cucumber in earnest,
> and that can't be a good thing.
> Maybe just altering that behaviour where the scenario carries on running
> when a Given step fails would help. Aslak you never explained why you
> designed it like that - how does it help with your workflow?
> On 17 Sep 2008, at 02:20, David Chelimsky wrote:
>  On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Scott Taylor
>> <mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:
>>> Shouldn't pending 'a message' work in cucumber?  Is this a bug?
>>>  Currently
>>> it's raising Rspec's PendingExpectationError.
>> This came up last week:
>>  http://groups.google.com/group/rspec/browse_thread/thread/
>> 84743f0ef89a82f/
>> Didn't really get resolved.
>> Go ahead and put a ticket in lighthouse if you want (under cucumber
>> project: http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211).
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>  SCott
> cheers,
> Matt
> ----
> http://blog.mattwynne.net
> http://songkick.com
> In case you wondered: The opinions expressed in this email are my own and
> do not necessarily reflect the views of any former, current or future
> employers of mine.

// anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of
// http://blog.devcaffeine.com/