[rspec-users] Cucumber - stub! or mock?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Tue Sep 16 21:05:43 EDT 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Tim Glen wrote:

> Hey all,
> I've got some code that I (mostly) inherited. It essentially has a
> couple of AR class methods that look for a specific record by id:
> class Project < ActiveRecord::Base
>  class << self
>    def specific_project
>      @another_specific_project ||= Project.find(10) if
> Project.exists?(10)
>    end
>    def another_specific_project
>      @specific_project ||= Project.find(11) if Project.exists?(11)
>    end
>  end
> end

Why don't use just use a slug for these things? In other words - use a
unique name for each record, since the numbers 10 and 11 don't mean
much to anyone.

Then, use a factory (like FixtureReplacement or Object Daddy) to
generate the records in env.rb.  Here's how you'd do that with
FixtureReplacement (at the bottom of your env.rb file):

include FixtureReplacement

create_project(:slug => "my-unique-name-for-project1")
create_project(:slug => "my-unique-name-for-the-second-project")