[rspec-users] Helpers that call helpers not working in specs?

Christopher Bailey chris at cobaltedge.com
Mon Sep 15 17:06:17 EDT 2008

If I don't include them, then the helpers in LocationsHelper can't find/use
the helpers in ApplicationHelper.  Maybe this will help illustrate:
test code:

describe LocationsHelper do
  describe "location tree" do
    it "should not show siblings for state, country, or root level
locations" do
      helper.location_tree(@oregon).should_not include_text(@hawaii.name)

The location_tree method is defined in the module/helper LocationsHelper.
 But, it calls ApplicationHelper.markaby.  When I run the above test, it
can't find the markaby method/helper.  It will only find markaby if I remove
the leading "helper." from in front of the call, and also include
ApplicationHelper (including this, when using helper. doesn't remedy it).

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Christopher Bailey
> <chris at cobaltedge.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to test some of my helpers.  I have one helper (in module
> > LocationsHelper) that calls a helper/method in ApplicationHelper.  If I
> > include ApplicationHelper and LocationHelper in my spec, and then I call
> the
> > helper using the "helper." scope:
> >   helper.location_tree('Portland')
> > then it complains that it can't find the other helper it uses from
> > ApplicationHelper.  If instead, I call it directly:
> >   location_tree('Portland')
> > Then, it can't find the Rails' generated URL helpers (e.g.
> "location_path"
> > or "location_url").  How do I make it so that all the dependencies or
> Rails'
> > included stuff is found?
> You don't need to include the helpers if you are using the helper
> object. You should be able to do just this:
> describe LocationsHelper do
>  it "should ..." do
>    helper.location_tree('Portland').should ...
>  end
> end
> Have you tried that? Does it fail?

Christopher Bailey