[rspec-users] Cucumber - Ambiguous steps

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 09:27:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:21 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM, aslak hellesoy
> <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sure I'll report it and write a patch.
>>>

>> Hold on.
>>
>> If you want the regexp to match until the end of the string, why don't
>> you just stick a $ at the end of the Regexp?
>>
>> That's how regexen work. I don't see why they should work any
>> differently when used in Cucumber.
>
> My previous comments withdrawn. I agree with Aslak.

Although, I can see why one might be confused by this. I was. Even
though these are regular expressions, the context led me to an
(erroneous, but intuitive) expectation that in the presence of these
two ...

  /this and "(.*)"/
  /this and "(.*)" and the other thing/

... that the first would not match "this and that and the other thing"

Perhaps a hint in the error message is in order?

    When this and "that" and the other thing
      Ambiguous step resolution for "this and \"that\" and the other thing":

      ./features//foo-steps.rb:4:in `/this and "(.*)" and the other thing/'
      ./features//foo-steps.rb:1:in `/this and "(.*)"/' (Cucumber::Ambiguous)

      Consider ending the shorter expression with a $

WDYT?