[rspec-users] Cucumber Scenario syntax

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:14:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Evan David Light
<lists at tiggerpalace.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:51 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:
>> Please keep in mind that this is an *additional* way to do things -
>> you can still write your steps exactly as you do in Story Runner,
>> using regexps.
> Ah, good point.  I missed that nuance in your comment on my blog.
> Perhaps the presence of the FIT table should alter Cucumber's behavior WRT
> Scenario?  This could allow the original Story Runner syntax to hold.
>  However, it would also allow, in the presence of a FIT table, for a
> Scenario to serve as a template.

What you're proposing might look this:

Scenario: division
  Given a numerator
  And a denominator
  Then the calculator should provide a quotient

This will put some constraints on the phrasing that might be a good
thing, might not.

What if we just allowed free text in there that was not at all bound
to the table:

Examples: division
  When you divide a numerator by a denominator,
  the calculator should provide the quotient.