[rspec-users] Cucumber Scenario syntax

Evan David Light lists at tiggerpalace.com
Fri Sep 12 11:35:28 EDT 2008

Last night, I gave a presentation to the DC Ruby Users Group (http://dcrug.org
) on Plain Text Stories with Ruby.  I spoke on both RSpec Plain Text
Stories, which I have used, and Cucumber which I started to dig into a
couple of nights ago.  You can see the presentation here (http://evan.tiggerpalace.com/2008/09/11/plain-text-stories-at-dcrug/
) if that floats your boat.

You may also note in the linked blog entry that the general consensus
at DCRUG (and my own feeling as well) is that Cucumber's scenario
syntax perhaps assumes undue technical ignorance on the part of the
scenario author(s).

It seems odd to me (and several DCRUGgers) that the hooks into the
Scenario steps/substitution points are not apparent by reading the
Scenario plain text.  That is, you have to read the Scenario step
implementations to figure out where the hooks are in the Scenario
plain text.

This seems somewhat wrong-headed.  As one DCRUGger said to me last
night, we should at least assume that Scenario authors can handle a
basic Excel spreadsheet.  That is, that the Scenario could contain the
FIT table column headers so that the Scenarios serve as templates that
are specialized by rows in the FIT table.  This seems more natural as
the substitutions become far clearer just by looking at the plain text.

Disclaimer: My exposure to FIT is limited to a quick read of Ward
Cunningham's page on FIT and Cucumber.