[rspec-users] RSpec story failing because create is not rendering 'show'

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 11:27:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Damian Jones <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> David
>>
>> Are you saying this part should work:
>>
>> And "the page should show", "Product 1" do |text|
>>  response.should have_text(/#{text}/)
>> end
>>
>> because I'm getting nil for this step too.
>
> Is the request actually completing successfully?  It seems like there
> might be an exception that's preventing the page from rendering.

That is what it sounds like.

Also - once you get this working, there is a general style/approach
issue that you may want to ponder - what you've got there will output
something like this:

Given No products in the system
When I Post  to
Then show template should be rendered
And the page should show
And the page should show
And Confirm the product was successfully saved

Obviously, this isn't that helpful as the arguments don't get
rendered. The approach you are taking has not really been recommended
for a while and will not be supported in Cucumber, which is probably
going to be replacing RSpec's Story Runner.

To make that transition easy for you, I'd recommend either moving to
cucumber now, or at least taking the "decoupled step definitions"
approach within Story Runner. Check out http://pastie.org/271244 (with
the steps, story and output) and let me know if it makes sense to you.

HTH,
David