[rspec-users] What does a skilled BDD-/RSpec-er want in a job?

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 14:48:47 EDT 2008

On Sep 09, 2008, at 3:00 pm, David Chelimsky wrote:

> Sorry man, to get us you're going to have to talk about vegetables
> and Features.

Actually I'm going to be giving a short talk on BDD story/feature
writing + Cucumber + RSpec + Celerity at my next local monthly mini-
conference/geek beer-swilling night*.  To the best of my limited
ability anyway.

That's got TWO vegetables in it.  Do I get bonus recruitment points???

> Why not? I've been asked to submit code before job interviews and even
> pair during them. Taught me as much about potential employers as it
> did them about me.

When I wrote it, I knew it might be just crazy enough to work...

I think a day spent story writing with a customer in the morning, and
pairing in the afternoon, could give a very good indication of how
well someone will work.  But I bet it'd be very stressful for the

> I'd stick to the previously established theme here - "we tend to drink
> a nice dark Tanzania coffee here, but if you tend towards Sumatra
> instead, that's OK. Just no Starbucks on the premises, please."

Hmmm, I suspect I may have to upgrade from Tesco decaf to stand any
chance of hiring a developer...

* If anyone here is in the Sheffield (UK) area and wants to come along
and hurl abuse, you are more than welcome: