[rspec-users] What does a skilled BDD-/RSpec-er want in a job?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 10:00:56 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Ashley Moran
<ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2008, at 13:28, Dan North wrote:
>
>> I know a while back Google used to request python skills when they were
>> hiring java folks. They didn't actually need python to do their job - it
>> just meant they attracted the kind of developers who venture outside their
>> regular programming world, which is what they were really after. Mind you
>> they ended up hiring Guido van Rossum, so you have to be a bit careful :)
>
> Good point!  Might try and sneak something new and shiny in there.  Do you
> think if we mention RSpec + Stories on the job spec we might hire the whole
> RSpec core team by accident?

Sorry man, to get us you're going to have to talk about vegetables and Features.

>> Mentioning the technologies is useful, but if you put the emphasis on your
>> culture (co-located, collaborative, valuing open source - both using and
>> contributing, etc.) you may find you attract people who also value culture
>> over specific technical skills.
>
> Very good point, hadn't looked at it that way.  Collaborative is very
> important.  One thing I love about stories is they give a concrete way to
> bridge the gap between the customer and code.  I noticed a few weeks back
> that there's a continuum:
>
> Customer -> Story Session -> Story -> Spec -> Code
>  |                                            |
>   <------------- Demo Meeting <---------------
>
> And it's no longer clear where the fuzzy business stuff stops and the geeky
> technical stuff starts.  Dunno how you screen for that though, short making
> a real story writing session part of the interview process.

Why not? I've been asked to submit code before job interviews and even
pair during them. Taught me as much about potential employers as it
did them about me.

>> And any job ad that attracts Pat Maddox - well that would be a pretty
>> successful job ad in my opinion.*
>
> This may require something more specific on the job description.  Pat's
> favourite brand of coffee is? :)

I'd stick to the previously established theme here - "we tend to drink
a nice dark Tanzania coffee here, but if you tend towards Sumatra
instead, that's OK. Just no Starbucks on the premises, please."

Cheers,
David