[rspec-users] scenarios on production data

Dan North tastapod at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 12:35:40 EDT 2008

2008/9/8 Jonathan Linowes <jonathan at parkerhill.com>

> On 4 Sep 2008, at 18:55, Jonathan Linowes wrote:
>>
>>  I'm just thinking out loud here...
>>> It could be useful to have a way to run scenarios on a copy of a fully
>>> populated production database, as an alternative to normal use.
>>> Not sure how that'd work, maybe replace the Given's but leave the Whens
>>> and Thens?
>>>

> On Sep 5, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Matt Wynne wrote:
>
>  Can you give us a concrete example of something that you're worried might
>> go wrong?
>>

> Here's one example: lets say my app is a specialized CMS, where account
> owners can setup their own projects, pages and forms. I'd like to run
> scenarios against setups that users have created. Thinking further, wouldn't
> it be neat to make this a user feature, eg via "Validate This Project"
> button

That sounds like it might be a useful feature to implement - say export
project (and all its dependencies) and a corresponding import project
feature. Then you could export a project from the production environment and
have it as canned data to pre-populate your project scenarios. Also your
users could then create offline backups of their projects.

That would be specific to your application though, and not an rspec feature.
Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Dan