[rspec-users] scenarios on production data

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Sep 6 03:58:37 EDT 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Matt Wynne wrote:

> On 5 Sep 2008, at 19:14, Jonathan Linowes wrote:
>
>> it just seems to me that  while i'm running my tests on toy data
>> sets, it could be reassuring to see the same run on real production
>> data. Or, maybe not.
>> I agree its not real scientific, but neither is the weather... :)
>> (aka, shit happens)
>>

> Can you give us a concrete example of something that you're worried
> might go wrong?

Well, actually linoj ran into one regarding gems installed on the
production box.  For some reason ruby2ruby was being required, which
redefines method_missing on nil to return nil - meaning that if a
method on nil got called, he wouldn't see it - more then likely, a
template would just display "nil" instead of raising an error.

Scott