[rspec-users] do I use mocking (vs fixtures) for methods that produce results based on non-trivial SQL queries

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Fri Sep 5 23:39:26 EDT 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Greg Hauptmann wrote:

> Ben - I like your suggestion, thanks.  I'll start trying to structure
> some of my tests around this concept until there's a better way.
>
> Mark - I'm curious to understand what you actually do re "I personally
> do not use fixtures because my model specs usually don't use a
> "typical" data set. I'll create my own data set for each type of spec,
> often using an object mother to create the valid network of objects."
>    Did you just mean that at the start of a test you create test data
> in the database programmatically, as opposed to hard wiring it in a
> fixture?

You might want to check out Dan Manges' post from a while back:

http://www.dcmanges.com/blog/38

There are a ton of plugins out there that implement the idea.  I wrote
FixtureReplacement (http://replacefixtures.rubyforge.org/) after this
idea, but there are actually a ton of them out there that do more or
less the same thing - ObjectDaddy, factory_girl).

Scott