[rspec-users] scenarios on production data

Jonathan Linowes jonathan at parkerhill.com
Fri Sep 5 14:14:35 EDT 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Mark Wilden wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Jonathan Linowes
> <jonathan at parkerhill.com> wrote:
> That is, if my stories run with my well controlled, relatively
> small setups, I'd like to ensure they run on a large, fully
> populated, somewhat 'random' set of real data.
> If you think there are situations where that approach will discover
> bugs, then I'd agree with Ashley that you ought to define those
> situations specifically in your tests. But if you just want to
> throw a bunch of random data at them, then I'd expect your
> discoveries will also be random. That wouldn't give me the degree
> of confidence to make it worth the effort.
> Are you maybe looking for performance testing?
> ///ark

it just seems to me that  while i'm running my tests on toy data
sets, it could be reassuring to see the same run on real production
data. Or, maybe not.
I agree its not real scientific, but neither is the weather... :)
(aka, shit happens)

Click here to find experienced pros to help with your home improvement project.