[rspec-users] scenarios on production data

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Fri Sep 5 13:27:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Jonathan Linowes <jonathan at parkerhill.com>wrote:

> That is, if my stories run with my well controlled, relatively small
> setups, I'd like to ensure they run on a large, fully populated, somewhat
> 'random' set of real data.

If you think there are situations where that approach will discover bugs,
then I'd agree with Ashley that you ought to define those situations
specifically in your tests. But if you just want to throw a bunch of random
data at them, then I'd expect your discoveries will also be random. That
wouldn't give me the degree of confidence to make it worth the effort.

Are you maybe looking for performance testing?