[rspec-users] RSpec sundry questions

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:29:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Greg Hauptmann
<greg.hauptmann.ruby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Q1 - Can I assume that the core testing framework (e.g. rails unit
> testing versus RSpec) is a kind of separate issue to whether you using
> mocking or not? i.e. you could use Mocha with either the rails unit
> test framework or Rspec? Or is there something in Rspec that
> integrates moreso with mocking?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Mocha can be used with Rails,
RSpec, Test::Unit, plain Ruby libraries... The same is true about
RSpec's built-in mocking library.

The only mocking-specific thing about RSpec is that it ships with
mocking built-in. But if you're happier with Test::Unit style tests,
TU+mocha will technically do the same (more or less).

> Q2 - Anyone know where the "build" method that Ryan used in his Rails
> cast?  Was this a mocha method? (I couldn't see it in the api).
> Reference:  http://railscasts.com/episodes/81-fixtures-in-rails-2-0

Where is the "build" method in this screencast? (I didn't check the sound).

> Q3 - Lastly......I want to jump into RSpec or Rails unit
> testing....I'm thinking RSpec....has RSpec got more people using it
> than other testing frameworks now?  i.e. for Rails developers?

The only survey I know about is this:
http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/ruby-dev-tools-survey-results.html

Aslak