[rspec-users] specs pass when run with other app specs, but fail when run independently

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 23:15:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Tim Haines <tmhaines at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've noticed something a little odd with the session_controller specs that
> are generated from the rails plugin restful_authentication.  When they're
> run with all the other app specs (i.e. when I first fire up autospec) the
> specs all pass.  However, if I touch the session_controller_spec file so
> only the session_controller specs are run, some fail with the error message
> protected method `logged_in?' called for #<SessionsController:0x19100e0>
>
> Can anyone explain why this might be or where I should start digging to try
> and resolve this?

logged_in? is protected in the module AuthenticatedSystem. Chances are
that you've got a code example that's doing this:

  controller.logged_in?

instead of this:

  controller.send(:logged_in?)

and something that's not getting loaded when you run just
sessions_controller_spec is including AuthenticatedSystem into the
example group directly.