[rspec-users] described_type

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Oct 31 05:36:28 EDT 2008

I heard somebody mention described_type the other day, so I thought
I'd give it a spin.

It doesn't seem to behave as I'm expecting though.

I have a method which generates examples to verify AR associations:

         def it_should_have_many(klass, association, opts = {})
           it "should relate to #{association}" do
             klass.reflect_on_association(association).should_not be_nil
           end

           it "should have many #{association}" do
             klass.reflect_on_association(association).macro.should
== :has_many
           end

           if opts[:as]
             it "should relate to #{association} as :subject" do

klass.reflect_on_association(association).options[:as].should ==
opts[:as]

So at the moment, I have to call it like this:

	it_should_have_many Post, :attachments, :as => :comments

Which is a bit ugly. I figured I could use described_type instead of
klass in the example-generating method, but it doesn't work:

	undefined local variable or method `described_type' for
#<
Spec
::Rails
::Example
::ModelExampleGroup::Subclass_1::Subclass_1::Subclass_1:0x21518bc>

What dumb thing am I doing wrong?

cheers,
Matt