[rspec-users] Working outside-in with Cucumber and RSpec

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Thu Oct 30 10:47:23 EDT 2008

> Aslak made a good point earlier this thread with "don't write specs
> just cuz," but perhaps this fact is sufficient "cuz" to motivate.
>
> WDYT?

There's something else here (nothing to do with testing rails
controllers, but testing in general) about the psychological blockage
to working up the testing infrastructure in order to test something
you've never tested before. It's so easy and tempting to say 'sod it'
and dive into code & fix when you can't muster the mental energy to
work out how to make something testable. By sticking to the TDD
mindset in quite an uncharacteristically dogmatic way, unless I'm
doing a throwaway spike, I find I usually get just enough discipline
to get me through that blockage, and out into the bright sunshine of
the TDD superhighway.