[rspec-users] Working outside-in with Cucumber and RSpec

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Thu Oct 30 06:20:46 EDT 2008

On 27 Oct 2008, at 16:35, Pat Maddox wrote:

> Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> writes:
>> Pat - are you going solo too?
> Nope, I'm trying to teach RSpec/BDD to an organization that currently
> doesn't use it and has 0% test coverage.  It's interesting, to say the
> least.  They're good devs, but even so, the effects of not writing
> tests
> first (or even at all) are painfully evident when trying to get the
> codebase under test, and especially to change stuff.  Really puts your
> "working effectively with legacy code" chops to work :)

This reminds me of an argument I was going to make for consistently
writing specs as you go, even for apparently very simple controllers.
As the controller gets more and more complex, it's hard to know when
you've crossed the line into something that needs specs, and when you
realise it, it's usually too late.

That's why I'm happy in the TDD habit.