[rspec-users] Mocks and Refactoring - doing it wrong?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Thu Oct 30 02:14:19 EDT 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Sebastian W. wrote:

> Hi Scott,
> Cool - I see what you're saying here. The only thing that I'm a bit
> confused still is that it seems like, at least if your system is
> starting to get larger, you'd really *want* your fast unit test to
> help
> you catch API changes like this to help you make updates faster.
>
> Having to run a suite of more expensive integration tests just to
> catch
> API changes seems a little funny. But I guess I'm also hoping that
> there's some way for the mocks to help with that sort of thing -
> it's my
> understanding that some other frameworks out there help you with that
> sort of stuff. One example mentioned to me was JMock -- granted,
> that's
> Java, but still - if it's possible in Java, Ruby should be able to
> do it
> too. :P

Most certainly.

David, et. all:

Why don't we have a partial mock which will raise an error (or at
least a warning) when stubbing an object who's class doesn't
respond_to? the method given?  I feel like this sort of simple
dependency has been brought up 1000 times on the list before, but
never been explicitly stated.

WDYT?

Scott