[rspec-users] Should acceptance tests be run against a production environment?

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 03:58:20 EDT 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 5:08 pm, Pat Maddox wrote:

> When you do end-to-end acceptance testing with Selenium, I think it
> should be run against a production environment.  Not THE production
> environment, mind you, but simply a new Rails app running with
> RAILS_ENV=production.  Also, transactional fixtures should be turned
> off.  This is so that the app runs as closely as possible to how it
> does
> from a regular user's perspective.  Models and pages get cached,
> transactions commit and rollback as they're defined, etc.  What do you
> think?  Am I off base here?

Hi Pat

This makes sense to me.  I actually tend to run feature files against
the development environment though (well, features, which is a cp of
development).  The code reloading saves me from having to stop and
start the server.  Transactions and page caching are the big ones to
me - model caching should *reduce* bugs, surely.

A run against a production makes sense though, especially before
committing.

Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/