[rspec-users] Working outside-in with Cucumber and RSpec

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 18:02:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Ashley Moran
> <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:20 pm, Pat Maddox wrote:
>>
>>> When it comes to controllers specs, mocks provide the most value by
>>> isolating from the model and db - the specs run faster, and you don't
>>> have to worry about model validations.  But if you minimize controller
>>> logic, you can write acceptance tests that give you confidence that
>>> your controllers work, and then controller specs become unnecessary
>>> overhead.
>>

>> What's the consensus here then, controller specs yay or nay?
>>
>> 1 nay from Pat
>>
>> 1 act of fence sitting from me...
>
> I think the nay from Pat was conditional, as it should be.
>
> I think the answer is: if you have to ask, then you should use them :)
> Otherwise, don't use them when you feel confident that you don't need
> them.

When working outside in, the granularity increases the further in you
get. On the very outside it's cumbersome to test for edge cases.

Start on the outside with Cucumber and whenever you come across an
edge case, make a judgement on where the right abstraction level is to
test it. That may be controller, view, model or somewhere else.

Don't write specs just cuz

Aslak