[rspec-users] Should acceptance tests be run against a production environment?

DyingToLearn phylae at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 16:04:22 EDT 2008

aslak hellesoy wrote:
> I recommend running against a production-LIKE environment. In Rails
> you can create a production_test environment that you make as close to
> your production environment as possible, for example by running
> against a production_test database that contains a dump of your
> production data from last night.

I'm assuming that this is running on your development machine, right?

What about the idea of running it on machines that are as close to
production as possible? So if my production machine is a SliceHost VPS
with 256MB RAM, Nginx, and 3 Mongrels, then I should be running these
tests on a second SliceHost VPS with 256MB RAM, Nginx, and 3 Mongrels.

Is that just overkill?