[rspec-users] Should acceptance tests be run against a production environment?

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 05:27:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you do end-to-end acceptance testing with Selenium, I think it
> should be run against a production environment.  Not THE production
> environment, mind you, but simply a new Rails app running with
> RAILS_ENV=production.  Also, transactional fixtures should be turned
> off.  This is so that the app runs as closely as possible to how it does
> from a regular user's perspective.  Models and pages get cached,
> transactions commit and rollback as they're defined, etc.  What do you
> think?  Am I off base here?

I recommend running against a production-LIKE environment. In Rails
you can create a production_test environment that you make as close to
your production environment as possible, for example by running
against a production_test database that contains a dump of your
production data from last night.

Aslak