[rspec-users] Accessing the model class from within an rspec-rails spec

Cameron Booth cameron.booth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:09:23 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

New to the list, so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I
didn't find it. I'm trying to build up a plugin of useful rspec macros for
rails development, eg. things like:

it_should_return_success
it_should_redirect_to { some_url }

I'm basing my ideas off of some stuff technoweenie has done, as well as a
few others.

One thing I'd love to do is be able to figure out the model class in a rails
model spec, so I can do something like:

describe User do
  it_should_validate_presence_of :name
end

I can get it working if I pass in User as an argument:

describe User do
  it_should_validate_presence_of User, :name
end

but that feels redundant. Is there a way to access the class itself that I'm
missing? On the controller spec side, I see there is controller_class_name,
but that needs to be set with the controller_name method. I could go for
something like that if required, but somehow it seems like it would be
overkill.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Cameron