[rspec-users] cucumber feature description

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 11:52:26 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Stephen Eley <sfeley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com> wrote:
>>
>> A more qualified person may want to answer your question, but my short
>> explanation of the change of the default narrative layout is to state the
>> business value at the start instead of the end.  However, you shouldn't feel
>> constrained to use that layout all the time though.
>
> I prefer (and still use) the old way for grammatical reasons.  Putting
> the dependent clause of a sentence ahead of the independent clause
> that it's dependent is awkward and distracts from the reading.
>
> If enough of this we do, talk like Yoda, we all will.  Wish that, I do not.

The role and a feature is secondary to the business value (and the
role using the feature is more important than the feature itself).
That's why we prefer promoting it to the beginning. Without a clear
vision of what the business value we might be developing crap.

Think of the template as three elements in order:

BUSINESS VALUE
ROLE
FEATURE

The exact wording you use is not important. The order in which these
elements appear is. There is nothing about this order that suggests
that it can only be described with Yoda language.

I do agree that the concrete template we're currently using is a
little awkward though. How can we improve it?

Aslak