[rspec-users] cucumber feature description

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 06:11:56 EDT 2008

On Oct 26, 2008, at 12:19 am, Ben Mabey wrote:

> A more qualified person may want to answer your question, but my
> short explanation of the change of the default narrative layout is
> to state the business value at the start instead of the end.

I do this, and updated my TextMate Cucumber fea<tab> to this:

Feature: ${1:title}
   So that ${2:value}
   As a ${3:role}
   I want ${4:feature}

   $0

for this very reason.

Putting the business value first, and not writing anything else until
you've found it, means you don't get to cheat and dump "it would be
nice" features into the flow, then gloss over the fact they're
completely useless.  Found I wrote one of these myself last week, when
I wrote the "I want" bit on a card 5 mins before we went home.  Took
half an hour this week to realise it does nothing useful (or at least,
needs doing in a completely different way).  But the fact I'd written
it down somehow ennobled it.

Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/