[rspec-users] cucumber feature description

Mark Thomson mark.thomson at ieee.org
Sat Oct 25 18:25:59 EDT 2008

In the old Story Runner framework the feature description had a preamble
that looked like

As a...
I want...
So that...

When I was moving to cucumber I seem to remember reading somewhere that
that formulation was being changed, and indeed the example here -

http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/tree/master/examples/calculator/features/addition.feature
,

looks like this -

In order to...
As a...
I want to...

However I can't find specific documentation that spells that out. The
discussion about migrating from stories here -

http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/migration-from-rspec-stories

doesn't say anything about it and I've also written features
successfully using the original formulation.

So I'm just curious about what the significance of the preamble is. Is
it purely an aid to help the writer think correctly about what they are
supposed to be describing? Does it make any real difference how it is
formulated or whether it's even present?

Mark.