[rspec-users] Working outside-in with Cucumber and RSpec

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:19:24 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2008, at 14:33, David Chelimsky wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:
>>> examples that fail because you haven't written the code yet. This is
>>> crucial: resist the urge to touch the code until you have a failing spec.
>> At the risk of creating controversy, confusion, etc, I've been playing
>> with the boundaries of this notion of "resisting the urge to touch the
>> code until you have a failing spec."
> Crazy talk! Somebody kick this heretic off the list!
> ;)
> I actually know what you mean, and found myself this week driving out what
> I'd initially intended as a spike from a cucumber scenario, using rspec
> examples to shape it later. I think what you're talking about is a pretty
> 'ri' technique[1] though - I strongly believe you need to have experienced
> full-blown disciplined 100% TDD before you could honestly and responsibly
> know when to pull back like you're describing.

Excellent point. That's actually something Kent Beck talks about in
TDD by Example - it is important to first develop the discipline and
skill to do TDD in very, very small steps before you start taking
bigger steps. That way, when you do push the envelope too far (and you
*will*), you can easily back up a step and work your way through the
problem with a more granular approach.