[rspec-users] Working outside-in with Cucumber and RSpec

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Sat Oct 25 10:12:27 EDT 2008

On 25 Oct 2008, at 14:33, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>
> wrote:
>> examples that fail because you haven't written the code yet. This is
>> crucial: resist the urge to touch the code until you have a failing
>> spec.
>
> At the risk of creating controversy, confusion, etc, I've been playing
> with the boundaries of this notion of "resisting the urge to touch the
> code until you have a failing spec."

Crazy talk! Somebody kick this heretic off the list!

;)

I actually know what you mean, and found myself this week driving out
what I'd initially intended as a spike from a cucumber scenario, using
rspec examples to shape it later. I think what you're talking about is
a pretty 'ri' technique[1] though - I strongly believe you need to
have experienced full-blown disciplined 100% TDD before you could
honestly and responsibly know when to pull back like you're describing.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuhari

cheers,
Matt