[rspec-users] using config.gem to freeze rspec (not #577)

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 09:06:04 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:45 PM, jacobhenry <jachenry at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a project running on edge rails that has rspec and rspec-rails 1.1.9
> frozen in vendor/gems.  To freeze the gems we added two lines of code to
> environment.rb:
> config.gem 'rspec-rails', :lib => 'spec/rails', :version => '1.1.9'
> config.gem 'rspec', :lib => 'spec', :version => '1.1.9'

First - there were some problems with 1.1.9 gems that have been mostly
addressed in 1.1.11, so please upgrade to 1.1.11.

Second, there is still one open issue with 1.1.11 gems, which is that
if you configure both rspec and rspec-rails gems, in that order (rspec
first), you'll have problems with rake tasks. To workaround that you
can either configure them in the order you have them (rspec-rails,
then rspec), or you can just configure rspec-rails, which has a hard
dependency on rspec so rspec will also get installed w/ rake
gems:install (unless you're on an older version of rubygems - I forget
which one started installing deps by default, but that definitely
happens w/ >= 1.2).