[rspec-users] RSpecing a ‘binary’

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 07:28:11 EDT 2008

On Oct 25, 2008, at 8:08 am, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

> ‘From outside’ (i.e., run it with Kernel#` and observe output and
> side-effects)? This feels more like behaviour testing, and I’m leaning
> towards it, but I have a gut feeling there might be another choice
> that
> I’m missing…

Hi Shot

When I've written command-line tools, I've done exactly this.  Use
Dir.tmpdir to give you a working space to hold any input/output files,
and call it with Kernel#` to capture its STDOUT.

Doing it this way proves your binary command works, because RSpec (or
Cucumber, which may be more appropriate here) is doing nothing you
can't do in a shell yourself.