[rspec-users] Too Clever?

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:49:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:
> It appears we were too clever, but I think this would be a reasonable use of
> stories.
>
> We tried to have a story file run with 2 different sets of steps to use the
> same story against both the UI using selenium and against the server API
> using regular get/put/post.  This way we could spec the server API and the
> UI while ensuring they are in sync for the scenario in question.  But
> stories get confused when there are stories or scenarios with the same
> names.
>
> Does Cucumber deal with this any better than the story runner?  Given that
> it searches for steps rather than having them declared, I would think you
> can not share story files for different steps?

You can do this, you'd just put the steps in different directories and
tell cucumber to require the files in one directory for one run, and
another for another run. ie:

   cucumber --require features/steps/selenium/  features/
AND
   cucumber --require features/steps/normal/     features/

--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com