[rspec-users] Specing protected methods

Craig Demyanovich cdemyanovich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:37:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Bastien <bastien.vaucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> I m already specing the "generate_reports" methods with a mock on
> "sub_total", but I would also like to spec that method. I've put this
> method into protected because it doesn't make sens to call it from
> outside this class. But you're arguing that I should put that method
> into a lib ? I m not sure it would make sense as this method is very
> specific to that class, and would actually be easy to spec. Except
> that it's not possible to call a protected method from a spec as far
> as I know, correct me if I m wrong. (I maybe didn't explain my problem
> well in the first place)

If you're somehow mocking the sub_total method while specing the
generate_reports method, don't do that. Don't stub/mock the thing that
you're specing, only stub/mock its collaborators, i.e., its dependencies. I
would either verify via generate_reports that the sub totals on the report
are correct, or I'd factor out something like a ReportGenerator class and
spec it. Then, I'd stub/mock out the ReportGenerator in the specs for the
Survey class.

Regards,
Craig