[rspec-users] config.gem/rspec-rails/rspec bug (#577)

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Wed Oct 22 06:24:52 EDT 2008

On 22 Oct 2008, at 10:58, Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>
> wrote:
>> On 21 Oct 2008, at 19:51, David Chelimsky wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Just a heads up about a bug related to configuring the rspec gems in
>>> your rails 2.1.1 projects:
>>
>> I had a little crack at this, but I got scared off as there seems
>> to be some
>> chicken-and-egg stuff going on. My rake tasks require rspec, but if
>> rspec
>> gem isn't installed yet, the rake environment won't load and I
>> can't run
>> rake gems:install.
>>
>> Am I doing something dumb?
>
> Did you updated the generate rake tasks?

As in script/generate rspec? I think so. Is there some update to the
file dropped into lib/tasks/rspec.rake that fixes this?

> Since you're using the gem based one, require 'rubygems' before
> require 'spec' should work.

But if I'm on a machine that doesn't have the gems installed (e.g. the
production server)...? What then? We have the gem frozen into vendor
gems, but that doesn't seem to be enough...