[rspec-users] Merb

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 17:19:11 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Ashley Moran
<ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2008, at 9:43 pm, David Chelimsky wrote:
>
>> Well, in fairness to wycats, rspec doesn't really offer formal
>> extension points that would support this syntax, so he did the best he
>> could given what is available. We've had some discussion about this
>> and haven't landed anywhere firm yet.
>>
>> My opinion is that rspec, as it stands right now, needs a bit of
>> internal cleanup before we start adding new features like that one.
>> Also, the way I'd like to see this go is that rspec exposes a formal
>> extension point - some sort of hook into pre and post-processing of
>> each example including any arguments it was given. Then the merb
>> extension could use a published API rather than monkey patching.
>

> Ah, I understand now.  I didn't mean my comment in a negative way, just that
> Merb has a philosophy of simplicity and transparency, and monkey-patching is
> the Rails way to do things.  Hence my surprise.  And spec code too... if
> anything's gonna make me nervous!
>
> Is the Merb spec syntax (or something like it) something you'd like in the
> future?  (RSpec 2?)

Not sure about that yet. You can already accomplish the same thing
with a variety of existing structures and I think that this structure
brings up other questions like:

* how about a :when and :then?
* how does this impact the output?
* etc

However, I'm definitely interested in developing and committing to an
API that makes it easy to write extensions like this. Then wycats
could publish this as a separate extension gem, for example, and those
who like it can easily use it w/o concern for the fact that it is
monkey patching another library.