[rspec-users] Cucumber, more examples, tabular data input sets

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 23:56:49 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Stephen Eley <sfeley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Zach Dennis <zach.dennis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if it damages the scenario as a whole. After all, the
>> reason you're using tabular data in the first place is so you can
>> re-use scenarios with different inputs. I would argue that using
>> variable names in the scenarios that use tabular data makes it more
>> readable. You can easily see where you are changing the inputs.
>
> I didn't say it damaged it.

 Well you said sully, and that is defined as "damaging the purity or
 integrity of; defile".

> Your logic is fine.  It simply makes it
> look less like an English prose sentence, and that's counter to the
> aesthetic that's part of Rspec's/Cucumber's appeal to my personal
> taste.
>
> Which I guess is less a strenuous objection, and more just to say:
> Aslak, if this suggestion is officially implemented in Cucumber,
> please make sure the current form continues to work too.  Then those
> of us who are persnickety fiction editors can continue doing things
> the way we like them, and everybody wins.

 Based on your earlier email you mentioned you hadn't really grokked
 the tabular inputs of features, so I'm guessing you haven't been using
 the current form. I'm not asking to change how single scenarios are
 written. I am just asking for a more useful way to write scenarios
 which use tabular data inputs. The typical scenario wouldn't be
 affected by this.

 I like Ashley's idea of annotating the inputs. You could annotate only
 those that should be replaced with data from the tabular inputs.

--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com