[rspec-users] Cucumber "standard base" setup?

William Tozier bill at williamtozier.com
Fri Oct 17 20:34:38 EDT 2008

I'm trying to set up cucumber so we can try it in some Ruby automation
scripts I'm working on. These will be straight Ruby, for use in BBEdit
and TextMate (on the Mac).

NOT Rails.

The big early-stage stumbling block I'm having is setting up the
initial Rakefile and directory structure. I think I'm rtfm'ing, but
clearly I'm missing whatever I need to get past square one.

We'll be working on Leopard boxes, with clean and up-to-date gem
installs across the board. Most of our coding is in TextMate, and the
cucumber gem works AOK already. All the gems seem to be here, and the
example files in the cucumber repository work as expected.

But I'm not understanding what a minimal setup for a NEW project
should be.

* I need a Rakefile... but with what exactly in it? Many of the
examples are different, and at least a few fail to run on my box (but
that's external dependencies). What's the bare minimum I need to have
in a plain, empty Rakefile?
* A cucumber.yml file, which as I understand it is only needed if I
want to set params away from defaults.
* A "fixtures" directory... but with what necessary subdirectories in
* A "lib" directory sometimes... but not in all examples?

Am I missing a simple generator script somewhere in the base cucumber
install? NOT for Rails -- just for a plain Ruby project?

Thanks very much. Again, all I'd really like to do is see a noobs'
walkthrough like:
(1) create an empty project directory
(2) build standard directory tree
(3) clone in standard Rakefile
(4) get started speccing.

(2) and (3) are my problem.

Thanks much!
Bill Tozier
AIM:vaguery at mac.com • Twitter:Vaguery

"The brotherhood of man is not a mere poet's dream; it is a most
depressing and humiliating reality."
   -- Oscar Wilde