[rspec-users] RSpec vs Screw.Unit

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Oct 17 05:41:28 EDT 2008

On 17 Oct 2008, at 06:44, Scott Taylor wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Ashley Moran wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Hope this isn't OT.  I'm currently contemplating using the Dojo[1]
>> JavaScript framework, and I suspect it's powerful enough that using
>> Cucumber features and Celerity alone will quickly leave me wanting
>> lower-level unit specs for the JS.
>>
>> So I just wondered if anyone here has used Screw.Unit[2], and if
>> so, how does it compare to RSpec?  It seems to offer many of the
>> features of RSpec (with the notable exception of shared behaviours).

I'm also interested in this, as we're currently deciding which route
to go.

I like the philosophy behind screw unit - it feels like the team want
to give us RSpec for javascript. One of the things that has irritated
me (and generally does with javascript unit testing) is that running
the tests is quite slow and requires selenium. I did a little spike to
run them via celerity instead:
http://gist.github.com/15273

> 3.  I haven't looked very hard, but I haven't found a plain text
> runner yet.  Obviously it's going to need a browser if you're
> planning on doing DOM interaction (which is very easy).  For me,
> though, a plain text runner would be awsome.

Do you mean a story-runner that just works on the javascript / HTML,
as opposed to running the full stack including the server-side?