[rspec-users] Mocks: expectations vs spying

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Thu Oct 16 17:02:21 EDT 2008

Ashley Moran wrote:
> Hi again
>
> Ok, so I'm having a little research fling with JavaScript, and I've
> uncovered something I hadn't seen before: "spying".  Basically,
> inspecting mocks after-the-fact, rather than setting expectations
> upfront.
>
> Here are the articles I found:
> http://ajaxian.com/archives/mockme-a-new-javascript-mocking-framework
> http://blog.johanneslink.net/2008/08/08/ajax-travelogue-part-6-mocking-in-javascript/
>
> http://blog.johanneslink.net/2008/08/09/ajax-travelogue-part-7-mockme/
>
> Does anyone know more about this technique, and its pros and cons vs
> expectation-based mocking as used in RSpec mocks?
>
> Thanks for any info
> Ashley

Pat has been working on adding the spy pattern to rspec and JoeSniff has
already added it to the rr mocking framework on github I believe.  There
have been some recent posts on this mailing list about it.  Searching
for spy in this groups past threads should give you some links to learn
more. HTH

-Ben