[rspec-users] How to spec accessing a constant

Nick Hoffman nick at deadorange.com
Thu Oct 16 11:22:19 EDT 2008

On 2008-10-15, at 21:59, Craig Demyanovich wrote:
> Since class A is coupled to class B, the specs for A are also
> coupled to class B through class A. Thus, I wouldn't worry about the
> coupling. Why does a method of class A directly access a constant of
> class B? Does the constant belong in class A? Does the method belong
> in class B? If you can and want to be more specific with your code
> and specs, I'm sure that we can all write some specs together.
>
> Regards,
> Craig

Hi Craig. Here're some code snippets:
http://pastie.org/293925

Property#javascript_map_marker_code generates the Javascript code
necessary to:
1) Create a [Google] map marker that represents a property instance.
2) Add the marker to the map.
To perform #2, RentalMap::MAP_NAME must be accessed somehow, be it
directly, or through a method as Scott suggested.

RentalMap::MAP_NAME should definitely be part of the RentalMap model.
It should not be part of the Property model.

Property#javascript_map_marker_code belongs in the Property model,
because it acts upon (IE: uses several attributes of) a Property
instance.

Cheers,
Nick