[rspec-users] Rails config.gem and rspec, rspec-rails

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 00:48:31 EDT 2008

In #rspec the instructions for installing rspec and rspec-rails on a
Rails project. Specifically talking about the following line from
http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails/wikis/home

  config.gem "rspec-rails", :lib => "spec"

I think this should be updated to not instruct people to do this.
Rails config.gem will *load* all configured gems in all environments
which isn't what I thikn people expect. Simply having people move
these config.gem statements into the appropriate environment file also
doesn't work quite as expected (at least not with the rake tasks that
surround gem usage in Rails).

If folks use the gem versions I think the wiki should advise them to
run "gem unpack rspec rspec-rails" inside of vendor/gems.

Thoughts?

--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com