[rspec-users] cucumber and fixtures

Mark Thomson mark.thomson at ieee.org
Fri Oct 10 03:23:27 EDT 2008

Hilarious. This is exactly what I needed today as well and eventually
found this thread through Google, not realizing it was already sitting
in my inbox. :-).

In my case I wanted to use fixtures in testing because the development
db had already been populated by a data migration, and I didn't want to
write more code to both define and load the data as would be required
using seed-fu. It seemed easier to install the ar_fixtures plugin and
use that to dump the data to a yaml file and then load the data in as
part of my story execution. Hence my need for the solution Daniel mentioned.

Despite my inexperience, I was a little surprised that I had difficulty
figuring out how to do this. I'm still not sure why "fixtures :model"
like you would use in Test::Unit does not work. And I can report that
"self.class.fixtures :all" recommended here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/rspec-users@rubyforge.org/msg03194.html, did
not work for me. I presume that at some point some more extensive
documentation for Cucumber will appear and I think this is an example of
an issue that would be helpful to have described in more detail.

Mark.