[rspec-users] ArgumentError in "is a pending example" - block not supplied

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:18:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:
> We have a few unfinished examples in our code of the form
>
>        it "should and does do something" do
>                # stuff
>        end
>
>        it "should do something someday"
>
>        it "should and does do something else" do
>                # more stuff
>        end
>
> Now since I upgraded my gem to rspec 1.8 today, the empty example is failing
> with the error ArgumentError in "should do something someday": block not
> supplied
>
> Is this by design?

Absolutely not, though I am not having the same experience (blockless
examples are correctly reported as pending).

> What's the recommended way to deal with these pending examples? write a
> block and call pending within it?

That's how we used to do it before rspec started treating blockless
examples as pending. It will band-aid your problem so you can
progress. But what you're experiencing is not what is expected, nor am
I able to reproduce it.

Is this a rails app? Are you mixing gems and plugins perchance?