[rspec-users] cucumber and fixtures

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:55:58 EDT 2008

I use seed_fu with cucumber.

http://github.com/mbleigh/seed-fu/tree

To load them I use the following my features/steps/env.rb. I reload
them for every scenarios:

Before do
  ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(ActiveRecord::Base.configurations['test'])
  ActiveRecord::Schema.verbose = false
  load "#{RAILS_ROOT}/db/schema.rb"
  Dir[File.join(RAILS_ROOT, "features/fixtures", '*.rb')].sort.each {
|fixture| load fixture }
end

My fixture files live in features/fixtures/ and each looks like:

# my_model.rb
MyModel.transaction do
   MyModel.seed_many(:id, [
     { :name => "blah", :id => 1 },
     { :name => "foo", :id => 2
   ])
end

I use seed_fu for seeding production data as well. I don't use it in
the sense of Rails fixtures. I use it in the sense of "the app needs
this data to even run, period." Seems maybe this is what you're
looking for,

Zach

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Daniel Higginbotham
<lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> aslak hellesoy wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Daniel Higginbotham
>> <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to use spec fixtures with Cucumber, and if so, how?
>>>

>> Google for cucumber fixtures
>>
>> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/165215
>> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/165777
>
> Yep, I've read those threads and they both explain how to use
> alternatives to fixtures, not fixtures themselves.  In the first thread
> you posted, the OP mentions that he was trying to use fixtures and they
> were never loaded into his DB.
>
> Is there some way to use fixtures with Cucumber - not
> FixtureReplacement, not mocks, not ObjectDaddy, just fixtures?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel Higginbotham
> --

Zach Dennis